AIR Membership provides access to tools and information to help you run a healthier, more profitable music business.
AIR negotiates with industry and government, lobbying on behalf of its 200 members to achieve fair market access and parity of terms with the majors labels. AIR works to facilitate commerce for the Australian Independent Music Sector.
This makes us your voice for the issues that affect you and you music business. AIR is staffed by a professional team that knows the industry, they are available to give members advice and referral.
- AIR has finalised collective bargaining negotiations for a royalty deal with XYZ Networks (Channel [V], [V] Hits, Music Max and Country Music Channel). It will be the first time the majority of independent labels and artists will have access to music video royalties from that network.
- We’ve received the first ever payment from MTV for royalties from music videos on that network.
- AIR continued its agreement with Nightlife Music and Video ensuring that all indie artists played on their background music systems will receive royalties.
- AIR is currently negotiating broader negotiating powers with the ACCC with a view to expanding its collective bargaining program.
- AIR has played a lead role in the formation of the Worldwide Independent Network’s “Independent Manifesto”, a document which outlines the basis for co-operation in dealing with issues that affect the independent music sector on a worldwide scale. This will be published late in 2012 and should result in increased international opportunity for its members.
- AIR has made significant submissions to government concerning the contemporary music policy. This includes supporting the continued funding of AMRAP, supporting the PPCA’s push for removal of the 1% Cap, ensuring independent small businesses are represented in the National Cultural Policy and pushing for greater support of businesses investing in the arts.
- AIR is a member of the Music Council of Australia, The Contemporary Music Working Group and is on the steering committee for Music Matters.
- AIR conducts workshops for indie labels and indie artists in Hobart (Amplified), Darwin (iNTune), Alice Springs (iNTune), Brisbane (BIGSOUND), Adelaide (Fuse Festival), Perth (WAMi and One Movement) and Melbourne (Face The Music).
- AIR played a major roll in the roll-out of streaming services in Australia in early 2012, working with each platform to ensure that all independents have the ability to reach an audience.
- AIR spends considerable time working with its members, helping labels achieve best practice in release strategies, marketing, digital strategy and export development.
- AIR Members (Associate/Full/Distributor) have the ability to nominate and vote in the Carlton Dry Independent Music Awards.
- AIR Members (Associate/Full/Distributor) receive tickets to the invite-only Carlton Dry Independent Music Awards.
- AIR Members have the ability to sign up to AIR’s current collective bargaining agreements with broadcasters MTV and XYZ networks and the ability to sign up to future collective bargaining agreements
- AIR Members can access unclaimed royalty lists from international territories, including European and North American markets
- AIR members receive negotiated discounts with dozens of business providers called Friends Of AIR
- Access to documents and resources from AIR and its partner organisations across the world.
- Discounts from selected conferences – Singapore (Music Matters), France (Midem), Brisbane (BIGSOUND) and Melbourne (Face The Music).